Wednesday, February 10, 2010

DOG FOOD


Alot of us are now making our own dog food. Here is a rough idea of what ours are on at the moment but as Im sure you all know each dog is different in their dietary requirements so it does take alot of trial and error to get your recipe right. Celia has done extensive research into the topic so I will also post some of her findings. I do believe that 100% raw is the way to go but our dogs still aren't so keen on the raw meat so Im still doing some cooking although most of my veggies are now raw (must be finely chopped / blended so ensure good digestion) I do still use ready made natural meals in between and have found the quality to be really good - Vondis, K9, Dog Matters & Barf.

Mornings: Oats soaked in warm water, plain joghurt, grated apple, milk + honey
Evenings: Boil 5 chickens and remove all bones when cooked, keep the water as stock to boil brown rice, sweet potato, beans, carrots, spinach, parsley, butternut, broccoli, peas, sweetcorn, cauliflower, garlic, cabbage. I work on a ratio of 70% protein, 20% veg and 10% carbs (rice or pasta). Omega oils. I freeze in 500g containers and this usually lasts 8 - 10 days but that will also depend on the quantity that your dogs require.
One starve day per week. Raw bones 2x per week.
I also add an egg each 2x per week and 1x week give them fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment